I am always looking ways to work on side dishes, especially potatoes and other starches. Here is one I haven't made in a while, but I am thinking of doing it for Thanksgiving. Actually since my wife has another project for Turkeyday morning, I get to do the whole dinner!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled ·
- 2 large Idaho baking potatoes, peeled ·
- 2 large red skinned potatoes, skin on ·
- 1/2 cup olive oil, in a bottle, for drizzling. or to taste ·
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic ·
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese (preferably yellow) ·
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella ·
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil bottom of an 8x10-inch baking dish.
- Using a vegetable slicer or very sharp knife, slice sweet potatoes as thin as possible.
- Slice baking and red skin potatoes as you need them, to prevent browning.
- Cover bottom of dish with a layer of Idaho potato slices, slightly overlapping.
- Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with garlic and cheeses and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with sweet potatoes, then red skin potatoes, seasoning and sprinkling each layer.
- Continue layers until all potatoes are used up, reserving enough cheese to fully cover top layer.
- Cover with foil and bake until potatoes are fork tender. Remove and let sit before cutting.