So I tried to turn a Caprese into a pasta salad and it worked well. I used Rotini pasta because I like the surface area for holding the vinaigrette.
- 1 lbs of cooked rotini (curly pasta)
- 1 lemon
- 6 oz mozzarella
- 8 basil leaves
- 6 plum tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- While the rotini is cooking, seed the tomatoes and rough chop them
- Dice the mozzarella into small pieces
- Chiffonade the basil (Roll up the leaves as a group and thinly slice into ribbons)
- Zest the lemon into a mixing bowl, then squeeze the juice into the bowl.
- While whisking, slowly add about 1/2 - 2/3 a cup of olive oil into the lemon juice/zest to make your dressing. It's a nice light lemon vinaigrette, and not too much so it's never overdressed.
- Drain and cool the pasta. It doesn't have to be cold, just not boiling hot. I don't like to melt the cheese.
- Poor the pasta right over the tomatoes, add the cheese and basil, then stir together while adding about 1/2 of the dressing.
- Key step here . . . TASTE it. You might need a little salt, you might need to add more dressing. only you can make that determination, so don't be afraid! One piece of advice, if you are going to keep it overnight, save any dressing you don't add right away.
- You can serve immediately, which is how I prefer it. It can keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve.