Friday, December 10, 2010

Southwestern-Style Rub London Broil

Picked up a nice looking London Broil. I was after a flank steak, but the only ones in the meat case were too small, so London Broil it is. Now I really do like Flank Steak, I think it is a more flavorful cut, so I plan to jazz up the London Broil with a take on a Southwestern-style rub.

Now why do I call it 'Southwestern-style'? For one reason I think the cumin and coriander take this part of the way there, but this rub isn't very spicy -- which seems to be the hallmark of most southwest rubs. My wife and one of my daughters don't like things too spicy, so no cayenne, no hot peppers, but still lots of great flavor!

Ingredients:

  • 3 tsp Chili Powder
  • 2 tsp Hot Smoked Paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp Cumin Seed (freshly ground)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp Crushed Oregano
  • 1 tsp Roasted Smoked Coriander
  • 1 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1 tsp Kosher Salt
  • 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 1 1/2 - 2 lb London Broil
Prep and cook:

  • Mix all the ingredients except for the London Broil
  • Trim any excess from the steak
  • Rub the Southwestern Rub on all sides
  • Place in a Ziploc Bag, squeezing out as much air as possible
  • Let it marinate in the fridge for several hours. I usually leave it for 6 hours
  • Heat up a grill pan over medium-high heat
  • Grill the steak on each side for 7-8 minutes, or as long as 10-12 minutes depending on the thickness of the cut.
  • Allow the meat the rest for about 10 minutes
  • Slice in about 1/4 inch slices making sure to go against the grain of the meat. I usually slice on the bias so each piece has a bit more of the crust of the meat.

I did this the other night and while I think it was a success, my wife and granddaughter did not. It wasn't to unexpected of the granddaughter, she doesn't seem to like any spices. I thought my wife would like it because it wasn't spicy hot, but she thought it was. Oh well, I'm still going to chalk it up to a success because I liked it. My daughter will try the leftovers and I think she'll like it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment