Saturday, December 4, 2010

An Apple Pie you do not want to make

While I had one success this evening, I also had one failure. Since I love posting when things go right, I should also post when things do not!

I made an apple pie loosely based on a couple of other recipes, so I cannot blame them -- I take all discredit. I'm not sure where I went wrong, so I wanted to post the recipe in case someone has any suggestions. The problem was sourness, way too sour! The kind of sour that made you scrunch up your face!

Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 pounds of a mix of Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Braeburn and Golden Delicious, apples, peeled, quartered, and cored
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1 teaspoon to sprinkle on top
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 2 nine inch pie doughs (homemade or the Pillsbury redi-made pie crusts)
  • 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Prep and cook:
  • Preheat the oven to 400F
  • Slice the apples into about 1/2 inch wedges
  • Toss with 1/2 cup of sugar
  • Let sit in a colander over a bowl for about an hour. This will render several tablespoons of apple juice. Take the liquid and reduce to about 2 tablespoons in a saucepan.
  • Combine the apples, zest, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
  • Take one of the pie crusts and place in the bottom of a pie pan. I used a glass Pyrex pie pan.
  • Place the apples in the bottom crust
  • Pour the rendered and concentrated apple juice over the top
  • Cover with the second crust, tucking the edge under the edge of the lower crust and crimp
  • Brush the egg wash over the top of the pie
  • Sprinkle with 1 tsp of sugar
  • Cut 4 slits across the top for venting
  • Place on a half-sheet pan
  • Cook for 1 to 1 1/4 hours at 400 until the crust is nicely golden brown and the filling is bubbling
  • After about 20-30 minutes check the edge of the crust, you may need to cover them with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
  • Let cool for 1 1/2 to 2 hours before slicing.
Like I said, it was so sour, even though only two of the 6 apples were Granny Smiths. I was very disappointed as were everyone else. It was my first pie and I admit cheating by using the ready-made crust, but the crust wasn't the issue.

Any advice? I am planning to toss this recipe away and looking for a new one. This one was very disappointing, very!

No comments:

Post a Comment